Thursday, December 13, 2012

"I'm A Mormon"

I'm not a Mormon. I have nothing against Mormons. In fact, I think they've done something pretty savvy with their "I'm a Mormon" campaign. They've taken control of their public image and have presented themselves as approachable, culturally relevant, moderate, and, well, normal. Initially when the little video clips started surfacing, I didn't really see what the point was. But now I think it's kind of genius. They are branding themselves by how they want to be perceived, by how they live their lives, NOT by how the media would portray them.

I mean, the Christian community could take a lesson. When they're not off hiding from the evils of this world (which doesn't extend beyond the borders of America, of course), they're really only visible to the public when some extreme sub-community is doing something outrages enough to make a juicy news headline. You know, the usual. Proclaiming that there's such a thing as "legitimate" rape, holding up signs saying "God hates fags" or "abortion kills children," predicting the end of the world or the doom/judgement of America, petitioning against acceptance and fun.

*Embarrassed cough*

No comments:

Post a Comment